Innovative Solvent Remediation for Fortune 20 Manufacturer
EnSafe implemented two technologies to treat chlorinated volatile organic compounds at a former manufacturing facility:
- Micro-scale zero-valent iron (ZVI), hydrocarbon substrates, and nutrients
- Emulsified oil zero-valent iron injections
Substrate and ZVI injections — until recently typically implemented as standalone technologies — were combined to achieve synergistic reductions of tetrachloroethylene (PCE), trichloroethylene (TCE), and their reaction products.
Thirty-eight injections were made over two days in both unsaturated and saturated zones. The groundwater results from three shallow monitoring wells inside the injection area showed a 30% reduction in dissolved concentrations of PCE and TCE within a year and 80% within two years.
EnSafe’s innovation was featured in 2009 at Battelle’s Tenth In Situ and On-Site Bioremediation Symposium in Baltimore, Maryland.
- Passive soil-gas sampling
- Collection of groundwater samples using innovative Membrane Interface Probe
- Geological investigation
- Hydrogeological investigation
- Installation of groundwater monitoring wells
- Data management and validation
- Work plan development
- Remedial action